Saturday, January 05, 2013

Greater Passion in Worship Part 3

Exodus 20:7 ESV
“You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain, for the LORD will not hold him guiltless who takes his name in vain.


  1. Cry out in word and deed the name of the Lord Jesus Christ. I find it ironic that the one name that God commands us to not take lightly or dirty up it is His own. But we cannot go through a day without someone, who is angry, frustrated or in pain, using the name above all names to vent their emotion or feeling. Certainly we who are saved by the blood of Christ should not be guilty of such language. In Proverbs 30:3 we find a clear application of taking the (profaning) the Lords name in vain beyond just the vocal misuse of His name. My dad would constantly warn me that not only did what I say, but also what I did would always reflect on the name Blair. I was born a Blair and nothing would change that, but I could make the name Blair pleasant or repute just by my behavior. I am born again into God's family, and praise God I am secure by Jesus in this Family (Christian). But my behavior will reflect on the name of Christ in both speech and action. 
    • Does my speech bring the name of Christ down by cursing, gossip, revenge, envy, unthankfulness, complaining, sarcasm, or just plain thoughtlessness?
    • Does my speech lift up the name of Christ by, praise, forgiving, thankfulness, compliments, teaching and loving admonishment, and truth spoke in loving benefit towards the other person(s) in His name?
    • Do the actions of my life bring down the name of Christ at work, on the highway, at home, in public, by selfishness, laziness, rebellion, or apathy?
    • Do the actions of my life lift up the name of Christ at work, on the highway, at home, in public by kindness, diligence, obedience, or genuine concern for others in His name?

No comments: