Saturday, August 23, 2008

A Church by Any Other Name

1 Corinthians 8:13 Therefore, if food makes my brother stumble, I will never eat meat, lest I make my brother stumble.(ESV)


The other day I heard about one of our church members was inviting a friend to church, and was being successful. Until she mentioned the name of the church. For some reason her friend was associating the church with the most extreme radicals of churches with the same denominational name. I also was recently challenged in my thinking about church names by the book Who Stole My Church by Gordon MacDonald.

Here are my questions: In this generic name "First Baptist Church of Podunk", what part of this name is biblically commanded to be there? What Part of this name is unchangeable and why? If the name is changeable, what could it be changed to that would avoid the above situation, but still be true to identification?

This post is a forum of ideas, not debate, so avoid arguing in response. But please leave your thoughts and opinions freely. I prefer names, but if you do not want to feel free to remain nameless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I believe that the words First and Baptist are merely adjectives that describe what type of church. As far as Podunk, well that is where the church is located, demographically, speeking.

I believe that the varieties of religions have been created by man, just yet another way to separate people. It was by that separation that "religions" formed. If you took out the Baptist, then what would the church identify with?

Just my thoughts...