Sunday, December 16, 2007

KJV - Why Change? Part 1

The King James Version Bible is the best and only reliable translation of God's Word. Not only for the English language, but is the standard for any language. That was my belief when it came to bibliology. I was taught by my bible college and seminary that not only was the KJV superior, but any and all others were evil corrupt, watered down versions.

Now, I must admit I do not believe I was taught correctly. Though my professors had the best of intentions, those who hold to the KJV are going to find it harder and lonelier. Now some of them may consider that a badge of honor, but may be doing that in vain.

So with that in mind I would like to share the first of three reasons why I believe the Portage Avenue Baptist Church is ready, and should make the change from the King James Version to a more modern version.

First, because the language, (word and phrase meanings) is becoming less and less understood by common man. Even when I got saved in 1979, I had to make the adjustment of the verbiage. Some might say to me that since I did it others should too. That would be selfish and Pharisaical of me. Who is to say that my journey is a must as an example to be followed? I believe I would be putting an undue burden upon a new or weaker Christian in the name of making them in my image.

What really was the biggest influence for me was what the original KJV translators stated as their reasons for coming up the new version. Under criticism like: why do we need another version anyway, and accusations of fraud, and corruption; they forged ahead with the project. They wanted to come up with a translation that would be for the common man to be able to read easily. They made no claims of inspiration, or superiority. Actually they believed that what they were doing should be done on a regular basis as needed.

As Babel proved, when it comes to delivering a message, language is not just in important it is crucial. What good is it to fight and bicker for a great translation of the Word of God when it is shackled by a way of speech that is not spoken any longer. If the word "conversation" meant something different than verbal communication, how is the 21st century reader suppose to understand the true meaning of that verse? Our heritage has always believed that the average Christian should not have to be defendant on the clergy to interrupt the bible. The Word of God should always be available in the tongue of the common man. Because of that the KJV is no longer the best at meeting that standard any more than a Russian version of the Word of God could serve the modern English language.

No comments: