Friday, May 22, 2009

For Anyone Who Has Screwed Up

Proverbs 24:16 for the righteous falls seven times and rises again, but the wicked stumble in times of calamity. ESV

If I could I would ask for a raise of hands right now of those who have made a nobody else to blame, self created mess at home, church, work, or school. For my own sanity I hope that at least one person reading this would be raising their hand.

Time and pride keep me from giving example. Let's just say that it would not be hard for those around me to quickly retell of events. It would be one thing if there was someone to ligitimently to blame. But, saddly no.

It is very easy to want to runaway from our disasters. Even if we do not run physically, we fantize about another job, church, or mythical environment where we are happy and successful

Maybe that is where you are. You wish you did most if not all things well. Never mixup an order, fail a test, or break a tool. The bad news is in this life that day will never come. The good news is that you really are not the worst or only one who messes up. You may have to stop focusing on yourself all the time to notice.

The great news is God can and will use your messes. God is so powerful, wise and loving that He is worthy to be trusted and followed even in our failures.

The key is to not focus on staying on the ground. I use to have a kids blowup punching bag when I was I in grade school. I think it was Captain America or Iron Man. Anyway it was the one where hit it, it would fall back and then stand right back. No matter how hard I hit or kicked it, it came right back.

If we fall and stay down (mentally or physically) our true joy is gone and the life story is just about over. But if we get up (seek God's help and maybe forgivence) we are ready to show others God is still ready, willing, and able to use us for His glory.

How about you tired of falling into messes of your own making? Don't stay on the ground! Look up and get up. True humility admits mistakes, sins, and need for help. Staying down gives into pride and selfishness.

No comments: